Week 3 Blog Forum


TOPIC 1: SHOOTING AN EVENT/ACTIVITY

For my event assignment I decided to shoot the Ski Swap in Corvallis. I shot the day where individuals were bringing in their items to have priced and set up to sell for the weekend. I love skiing and the event was close by to my house, so I thought why not? Going into the event, I knew I was unprepared, but I didn't know exactly what to expect. So I just went in with my pocket book and camera and called it good. I also brought my brother along for moral support of course. Everyone there I was talking to was very nice and easy to talk to. I was honestly having an off day, so I have to thank my brother for helping getting conversations started with me.
My first obstacle was that there were lots of skis and things I wanted to get great angles of, but I was blocked off with a bunch of tables. I worked with what I had though and got a couple decent shots. I tried to get a lot of each kind of photo, close up, medium, and overall. I was having a hard time changing the angles and backgrounds, but I blame my nervousness from being unprepared. At one point I tried to ask a lady for her name and I couldn't get any words other than, “I’m a journalism student. What’s your name? I’m a journalism student.” Luckily she gave me her name, but I’m definitely gonna need to work on that for next time. I think I’ll change my strategy. Next time I plan on reviewing the photos before leaving and then I’ll approach people and say, “Hey you’re in my picture, can I get your name for a caption?” I think that my photos came out okay, but I definitely have a lot to improve on for my next event.


TOPIC 2: SELF-CRITIQUE

My best photo that I’ve taken for this class is probably the picture I got of Wesley Parker. I really like the colors of the tree in the background and the way the bench helps frame the photo. I also made him laugh, so you get an authentic expression within the photo as well. The angle was nice too, but I wish I didn't cut out his arm in the photo. If I were to redo the photo I was just take one step back.

The worst photo I’ve posted on this blog is for sure the one I took of Monique Montoya. She was a great subject, but the lighting was way too harsh since it was the middle of the day. I also made the rookie mistake of centering her in the frame. I’m very aware of that and I try to be conscious of that when I’m taking photos now.
Getting more comfortable with the camera and my subjects is definitely something I need to continue working on. It’s hard for me to go from taking pictures to engaging with my subjects, but I’m working on it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight/Review -- Black Art: In The Absence of Light

Hometown - Alsea, Oregon

Profile: Dale Stepnicka of Animal House in Corvallis