Week 2 Blog Forum

Topic 1

Jim Marshall, famously known as the Godfather of rock photography, was born in Chicago in 1935. He passed away in 2010 at age 74. You’ve probably seen some of Jim's pictures if you've ever been into a record store. His photos have been on over 500 album covers and in even more Rolling Stones issues. Annie Leibovits, who famously photographed John Lennon and Yoko Ono, called Jim Marshall a rock n’ roll photographer, and for good reason. Jim photographed countless rock artists in the 60s and 70s. Artists such as Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles to even Johnny Cash iconically giving the camera the middle finger. That’s just to name a few. Jim always shot his photos in stunning black in white except for his arguably most famous image, or his claim to fame; Jimi Hendrix setting his guitar on fire at the Monterey International Pop Festival in 1967. This image was so valued that in 1973 it’s said that someone offered Jim $25,000 for the camera that he used to take the iconic picture. He refused. That picture of Jimi Hendrix doesn’t really show off Jim Marshall’s signature style of black and white, but it’s still a breathtaking image.

“I’ve been very lucky what can I say? The access was great and uh- this has been my life doin’ pictures and it’s never just been a job; it’s been my life.”

A great thing about Jim Marshall was that he would really capture the energy on stage in each of his images. A great example of this was some of my favorite pictures he took; The Beatles’ very last concert they ever performed. Jim shot great images of them walking off stage together absolutely beaming. In these pictures you can see the excitement and adrenaline on each of the band members faces. What we all really loved about Jim was the pictures he’d capture of the artists offstage. He was great friends with a lot of the artists that he would shoot. He allowed us, the audience, to see into the life of a rockstar. More importantly he showed us the vulnerable more personable side of our favorite artists.

Topic 2

It’s What I Do, A Photographer's Life of Love and War by Lyndsey Addario is a really good book so far. It’s definitely kept me on the edge of my seat, and I’m only two chapters in. There were moments where I was afraid to read the next line in fear of what was going to happen to Addario. The work that she does as a war photojournalist is very meaningful. I really applaud her for this work because I know it’s something I would never be able to do. Especially being a woman. Just reading her thought process when conflict arose sent chills down my back. I couldn’t imagine what I would do in that kind of situation. This kind of work is very important for everybody. It’s important for aspiring photojournalists and society in general. Having the photos that she took gives us a chance to see what’s really going on in the world.

My favorite photo in this book is of rebel fighters and drivers looking up into the sky anticipating a bomb or incoming aircraft. There’s bright blue skies with a huge cloud of black smoke from a nearby car. Five men stare up into the sky and physically brace for what’s to come.

It’s absolutely amazing the work that Lynsey Adario has done. What really impresses me is how strong she is. “I picked up my camera to shoot what I had shot so many times before, then put it back down, stepping aside to let the other photographers have their turn. I couldn’t do it all day.” I like this quote because it reminds us that she is human. For some context, she was having to take pictures of a man’s head that was blown out on the back of a car’s window. Addario was photographing doctors trying to remove him from the car. Even she realizes that it’s not something she can bear to see for too long. It’s important to know how far you can push your limits in photojournalism, you don’t want to burn yourself out.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight/Review -- Black Art: In The Absence of Light

Hometown - Alsea, Oregon

Profile: Dale Stepnicka of Animal House in Corvallis