Street Vision Gallery Featuring Oregon Photographers


Rich Bergeman is the curator of this display. He says, “the best street photography creates art from the fleeting moments of urban life.” In today's age it can be seen as taboo or an invasion of privacy. But it gives the audience a look into real life' candid moments.

Some advice from George Kelly (Middle) is this: "If someone gets mad because you took a photo of them and asks you if you did. You just say no, you walked into my photo and you ruined it! You could sit there and explain how it's legal, but we all know they don’t want to hear that." Lisa Gidley and Blake Andrews couldn't agree more


Five Oregon photographers, George Kelly, Blake Andrews, Lisa Gidley, James Han, and Gary Gumanow, have their street photography on display until November 15th in the South Santiam Hall Gallery. They came to the LBCC Albany campus on October 24th to talk about their images and give advice to aspiring photographers.

Some of the best advice that I heard from these photographers was about those butterflies or uneasiness feelings you get before photographing. Those feelings don’t ever fully go away, but that's the fun in it. James Han explained to me how he deals with his anxiety of approaching and talking to his subjects. He said, “You know when you clench your fist, how that feels? I like to imagine clenching my fist and then releasing it. Focusing on the release.” I love this advice because when I get anxious I clench my fists and my whole body tenses up. I’m going to start focusing on that release and I think it’s going to help me a lot.


Gary Gumanow (as shown above) explained that sometimes his anxiety may take over him too, but to overcome it he’ll just think about how badly he wants the picture.
 Say for example, I’m at a show and the speaker is in front of a huge crowd. Pushing through this crowd may feel like the end of the world to me, but I'll just have to stop to think about how badly I want that image. Maybe I don’t want the image that bad, but that’s up to me to decide. The photographers also described how a picture can tell a story. These images of street photography are more than a picture, they’re a moment captured in time that will never exist again.

Comments

  1. I follow a photographer who does a lot of street photography but he has a fashion? Angle? His blog is called the Sartorialist I think.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spotlight/Review -- Black Art: In The Absence of Light

Hometown - Alsea, Oregon

Profile: Dale Stepnicka of Animal House in Corvallis